Maria Montessori Academy (MMA) is a Charter School located in North Ogden, UT. MMA opened in August 2010 and offers parents a choice in free public education for their child.
Maria Montessori Academy is built upon the educational legacy of Dr. Maria Montessori who believed that all children are uniquely intelligent. The Montessori Method focuses on the whole child and facilitating the development of the child’s independence and sense of personal empowerment.
The mission of Maria Montessori Academy is to provide an individualized Pre-K through Grade 9 education that promotes academic excellence founded on the authentic philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori. MMA will craft each child’s education in partnership with educators and parents to achieve higher levels of academic, personal and social achievement, thereby preparing students to become constructive contributors to their community.
For more detailed information about MMA and our philosophy, download our MMA 101 PowerPoint presentation.
Key Points of the Montessori Method of Education
- Montessori schools promote respect for children as unique individuals. The child’s social and emotional development along with academic development is of great concern.
- Montessori schools are supportive schools where children don’t get lost in the crowd.
- Peace education is paramount to the Montessori philosophy. Dr. Maria Montessori was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize three times in her lifetime.
- Classrooms are bright and exciting environments for learning.
- The classrooms are multi-age classes which span three grade levels—children develop close and long-term relationships with teachers and classmates.
- The multi-grade classroom encourages a strong sense of community and teachers come to know each child’s learning style.
- Classrooms are not teacher centered but child centered. This allows students to develop their leadership skills and independence.
- The Montessori method assumes that children are born intelligent, they simply learn in different ways and progress at their own pace. Multiple intelligences are recognized and encouraged. Students move ahead as quickly as they are ready.
- Texts and workbooks are rarely used because many of the skills and concepts are abstract and a text simply doesn’t bring them to life.
- Montessori relies on hands-on, concrete materials to introduce new concepts. Investigation and research are experiences that actively engage the student.
- Learning is not based on rote drill and memorization.
- Montessori schools set high expectations and challenges all students not just those considered “gifted”.
- The students develop self-discipline and an integral sense of purpose and motivation.
- Montessori schools normally promote diversity in their student body, creating an atmosphere of mutual respect and global perspective.
- Students develop a love of the natural world—outdoor education is a very important part of the Montessori curriculum.
- Students learn to care and contribute to others through their community service.
- Montessori teachers facilitate learning, coach students and come to know them as friends and mentors.
- Students learn that mistakes are natural steps in the learning process.
- Montessori students learn to collaborate and work together on major projects. They strive for their personal best in this non-graded environment rather than competing for the highest grade in the class.
- Families are important in these caring environments.
No Maria Montessori Academy (MMA) employee or student shall be subjected to discrimination in employment or any MMA program or activity on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. MMA is committed to providing equal access and equal opportunity in its programs, services and employment including its policies, complaint processes, program accessibility, facility use, accommodations and other Equal Employment Opportunity matters. Rene Baker has been designated to handle inquiries and complaints regarding unlawful discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. Rene may be reached at 801.827.0150 or email@example.com.
Patriotic, Civic, and Character Education
Maria Montessori Academy will promote student character education to reaffirm values and qualities of character which promote an upright and desirable citizenry. The civic education will help cultivate informed students, encourage responsible participation in political life, and promote the fundamental values and principles of representative democracy in Utah and the United States.
To learn more about our professional management company, Academica West, download the following document:
MMA Contracts with Professional Management Company